Friday, February 7, 2014

The Classic Coastal Kitchen



Hello! I hope you're staying warm. I don't know about you, but I'm so over the snow and freezing temps. Bring on spring!

So today I'm looking at kitchens. Although there are plenty of lovely options, my favorite combination for a coastal cottage feel is the classic look of white cabinets and warm wood counters. I come back to this combination again and again. Here are a few of my favorites.

bhg

This is such a great example. The additions of bead board walls and bin pull hardware make this one of my favorites. 

coastal living

I like the added touches of the vintage shutters, wider wood paneling, and wall-mounted fish. 


smitten studio

This proves that kitchens don't have to be massive to be wonderful. Check out the white subway tile, farmhouse sink, and open shelving. Just perfect.


twice remembered

Glass door cabinets are another classic element. I especially like the vintage latches on the cabinets and beautifully arranged white dishware.

apartment therapy

This is another good example of the good-things-come-in-small-packages rule. This one has a bit of a tropical feel.

life is a dance

I love this kitchen so much. The chandelier is amazing. While stunning, it blends perfectly with the cottage feel of the rest of the room. The bamboo shade is another favorite element. And that wall color...

ikea
If you're thinking that having a great kitchen has to cost a fortune, you need to check out Ikea. They have everything from painted wood cabinets, to butcher block counters, to farmhouse sinks all at amazing prices.

houzz

This kitchen is a bit more refined with lots of detailing on the cabinets. It's a sweet, charming look.

pinterest

This kitchen is open to the dining and living areas. The dark wood counters on the island help to create a transition between the spaces. It also proves that even a larger open space can look inviting and cozy.

 So here's my list of "must-haves" for a beach house kitchen:

1. White painted cabinets.
2. Some open shelving and/or glass-door cabinets would be great.
3. Classic bin pull hardware. I wouldn't mind finding some vintage cabinet latches too.
4. Farmhouse sink.
5. Rich wood counters.
6. Bead board.
7. White tile back splash.
8. Simple bamboo shades on the windows.
9. Vintage looking light fixtures.
10. Simple white dishware.

What's on your list for a perfect a kitchen?


© Salt Marsh Cottage 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment