Saturday, October 12, 2013

Shopping Outside the Box


I've noticed that there are certain stores I hit on a regular basis (Home Goods, World Market, Pottery Barn, Ikea). Whether I'm looking to buy or just shopping for inspiration, those are my go-to spots. I keep going back because I know there's a good chance I'll find something I like that fits my style. I tend to forget there are lots of other possibilities out there.

Last weekend, a friend came to town for a visit. On Sunday, we decided to do a little shopping and she requested that we hit some places that aren't on my usual short list. I figured it would be fun to check out something different, but I really didn't expect to see anything that would fit with the relaxed, coastal style I'm drawn to. Boy, was I wrong. Here's a selection of my favorites.



DWR was our first stop. Although the aesthetic is ultra modern, the exquisite design and quality of these pieces would appeal to anyone. There is an emphasis on natural materials and beautifully grained wood. I was immediately drawn to the Easy Chair (top left). The frame is solid oak with the seat and back of woven cord ($3395). Out of my price range, but I'd sure love to have this in the living room of the beach house. The large Oval Bulkhead Light in natural brass (top right) has a classic nautical look. I think it would look great in a stairwell or on a porch ($395). The wool Thatch rug (bottom right) has great texture. In addition to gray, it comes in ivory, mushroom (taupe), and bear (dark brown). A 6 x 9 rug is $920, 8 x 10 is $1380. I am IN LOVE with this 100% Mohair Blanket (bottom left). Available in cream and charcoal, it's a generous 72" x 57".  Give me a glass of wine and a good book and I'd be set ($200). (FYI: DWR is now having their semi-annual sale. Everything is 15% off, including the items listed here).



Our next stop was CB2. Although I usually think of CB2 as being a little too trendy and modern for me, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lot to like here, too. I really love this Zinc Hurricane (top left). At 12" tall by 9" wide, it's big enough to make a real statement on a coffee table ($39.95). I was also taken with this Victory Pendant Lamp (top right). Made of iron with a galvanized finish, it's 24.5" in diameter ($179). I spotted this Square Hi-Gloss Swoon tray from across the room. It's a beautiful dark teal color. I think it would work well on a coffee table or a night stand ($29.95). I'm always looking for small side tables. How cute is this Acacia Dot side table? With its 18" stained wood top and the steel base with an antiqued zinc finish, it has a bit of an industrial vibe. It can also pinch-hit as a stool ($199).


West Elm was our final stop of the day. I particularly liked the "Emmerson" collection, which includes tables, bedroom furniture, cabinets, and sideboards handcrafted from reclaimed shipping pallets. The wood is a lovely weathered color, reminiscent of driftwood. Items in this collection would look right at home in a beach house. The small sideboard (top left, $1099) and the coffee table (bottom right, $499) are just two of the items in this collection. Honestly, the pictures don't do them justice. You really have to see these in person to fully appreciate the texture and patina of the wood. West Elm also has a great collection of accessories. I couldn't decide which of these vases was my favorite, so I decided to include them both. These Waterscape vases have a frosted texture like beach glass (center). They come in several shades of blues and greens and in a variety of sizes ($24-$44 depending on size). And then there were these Recycled Glass Jugs (top right). They come in clear, turquoise, and emerald and in two sizes (small $19, large $29). Finally, I can think of about forty different ways I could uses this Oversize Seagrass Basket (bottom left). At  15.25"w x 14.5"d x 18"h it could hold a ton of magazines and newspapers. Or how about by the front door to stash flip flops? Or beach towels? Or laundry in the bathroom? Or firewood in the living room? OK, I'll stop now ($129).

© Salt Marsh Cottage 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment