Friday, February 21, 2014

Hamptons Style Lamp Makeover



Hello everyone,
I've got quite a few projects in the works. I'm going to start with something quick and easy.

The other day I got the urge to check out the Goodwill store. I haven't been there in...almost forever, and I'm not sure why. Anyway, I popped in on Tuesday and 30 minutes later walked out with a bag full of stuff for less than $20. Awesome, right? One of the first things I snagged was this lamp for $9.95. It's a really good size (about 30" tall) and it has a great shape. I wasn't thrilled with the dark brown color, but I knew I could do something about that.





I was going after a Hamptoms vibe--soft, faded, driftwood-like colors. So I decided the easiest way to do this makeover would be with a gray wash. I mixed several paint colors I had in my stash, ending up with a medium gray color. I thinned it a bit so it wouldn't be too opaque, but I didn't want it real runny either.


After a bit of experimenting, I ended up using a dryish brush (i.e. very little paint). I worked in small sections and using both damp and dry rags and paper towels, immediately rubbed off and blended the paint. I kept working it until I was pleased with the results:



I didn't want it to end up looking "painted", just washed in gray. I found a great drum shade in a rough textured linen at Home Goods for $19.95. Perfect!


I'm very happy with the finished product. I ended up with a lamp I love for less than $30 and an hour's worth of work!





© Salt Marsh Cottage 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment