Friday, January 10, 2014

Sundance Paintbox Side Table Knock Off



Note: If you're looking for the full tutorial, click here.


I am really excited about this project. It all started with this photo I found on Houzz:

Loved it. Really loved it. I could picture it in a living room next to a sofa or chair. It's from the Sundance Catalog and priced at $495, but unfortunately, it's been discontinued and is no longer available. So I decided to try to create my own version.

I looked around on Craigslist for a small dresser that would be a good starting point, but I came up with nada. And then I thought of this: the solid pine, 3 drawer Rast chest from Ikea which costs a whopping $34.99. How can you beat that?

Ikea Rast

With the help of some paint, stain, wax, and a meat tenderizing mallet (yes, really), I ended up with my own version of the Sundance Paintbox Side Table:















It took me about a week to finish this project. I'm going to have the complete tutorial and the product sources for you in my next post (it was TMI for one post), but for now, here's an overview:

Step 1: Distress the pieces of the Rast.
Step 2: Stain the pieces with a dark brown stain.
Step 3: Paint and distress each piece.
Step 4: Wax and buff.
Step 5: Assemble the Rast.
Step 6: Add hardware.

The cost breakdown:
Rast $34.99
Stain $6.99
Paint $13.98
Hardware $25.99
Total for this project: $81.95

I had some materials on hand such as additional paint, brushes, sanding blocks, and wax. I also used an electric drill, hammer, screw drivers, belt sander, and a meat tenderizing mallet.

Hope you like it, too! Thanks for stopping by!

© Salt Marsh Cottage 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment