Friday, October 14, 2016

Bathroom Makeover

I'm not gonna lie. The upstairs bath in our house was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Ever. Feast your eyes:

No, it's not your monitor. That vanity really is orange and blue.


And although you can't see it in these photos, the floor was carpeted...in 1980...and never replaced. The tan and blue wall tile had seen better days. I won't even start on the pink wallpaper.

Obviously changes were in order. I wanted to go with a classic, timeless look with a few nods to coastal style. I liked the idea of light gray walls, black and white tile, and accents of dark brown.

Tile--Home Depot; Shade--Overstock; Sconce--Restoration Hardware; Print--Art.com; Vanity--Amazon, Paint--BM Wickham Gray.

The first step--which was a huge money-saver--was having the existing tile and shower reglazed in white. Big change. Then we had the existing vanity, flooring, wallpaper and lighting removed, and tiled the floor in a classic black and white hexagonal pattern. The walls were painted in Wickham Gray by Benjamin Moore.

One thing that puzzled me, was how small the original vanity was. There was actually enough space for a double vanity and I wanted to take advantage of it. I found a great vanity on Amazon with a Carrara marble top, chrome faucets, three drawers, and a shelf for storage. I scored a large mirror with a dark brown wicker frame at Home Goods and some scones at the Restoration Hardware Outlet. I used a dark bamboo shade on the window and added some framed black and white boating photos.

Here it is all finished. This is a really hard room to photograph because of the configuration, but I think this gives you an idea.












2 comments:

  1. Wow ... now that is a transformation! So clean and fresh looking. So smart to reglaze existing tile. We just finished a bathroom remodel, and unfortunately, that wasn't an option for us. Most likely the original homeowner would have had a hamper next to their vanity. I've never been in an older person's bathroom that didn't have one! Again, great job .. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I bet you're right about the hamper. That makes sense. Thanks for stopping by! Best, Lisa

      Delete