Friday, January 20, 2017

How to Find the Best Affordable Lighting for your Coastal Home


Finding the right lighting can make a huge difference in the overall look of your decor. In my case, I want light fixtures that complement my coastal aesthetic without being too thematic (i.e. no anchors, fish, etc.). I also don't want to spend a fortune. Over the last two years, I've been able to find some excellent resources for lighting that fits my style and also fits within my budget. Here are some tips on how to find awesome coastal fixtures at an affordable price.

Tip # 1: Don't act your age.
By that I mean shop the kid's versions of your favorite stores like Restoration Hardware (RH Baby & Child), Crate & Barrel (The Land of Nod), and Pottery Barn (Baby, Kids, Teen, & Dorm). They often have almost identical products for that cost significantly less than those in the main store. For example, I shared the lights in my downstairs bathroom in my last post.


This is the Mariner Sconce from RH Baby & Child. It sells for $149 compared to the almost identical Starboard Sconce sold by Restoration Hardware for $379. Yes, less than half price.


Sometimes the kid's stores have options not available in the main store. This pendant over my kitchen sink is the Fisherman Pendant from PB Kids. It sells for $99. I couldn't find anything I liked as well anywhere else. And if you keep an eye out, you can often find coupons for 15% or even 20% off the regular price. By the way, you can see more of my kitchen makeover here.

Tip #2: Shop the outlet stores.
I've had very good luck at Restoration Hardware outlets. You can't always count on finding what you want, but if you can go back periodically, it will probably pay off. I even hit a couple of different outlets to find a pair of sconces. The savings are usually significant plus the outlets often seem to run additional sales like 40% off everything. Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel also have outlet stores.


I found this Circa 1900 Steamliner Flushmount ceiling light for the downstairs hallway at an RH outlet for about $70 versus the regular price of $289. By the way, I just noticed that this is on final clearance on line for $149.

Tip #3: Ikea
If you think Ikea is only about simple modern designs, think again. This is my all-time favorite coastal pendant--the Ottava pendant light. I have it in the entry/home office alcove which has a high sloped ceiling. It looks even better in person than it does on line. I just love it. The price? $35. Yup $35. 


Ikea has some other great options, too. Take a look at the Ranarp pendant (right) (2 sizes, 2 colors--$25 & $40), the Foto pendant (left) (2 sizes, several colors--$20 & $25), and the Hektar pendant (center) (2 sizes, 2 colors--$25 & $60).


Tip #4: Consider additional options.
Besides these sources, there are lots of other great possibilities.

  • Ebay--is a good source especially if you know what you're looking for. Have your heart set on an RH fixture, but you don't live anywhere near an outlet store? Try searching ebay. Chances are, it's there.
  • Home Improvement Stores--Home Depot & Lowes have some great options at reasonable prices. I really like the Hampton Bay Brushed Nickel Warehouse Pendant from HD for $30 (top left) and the Millennium Lighting Neo-Industrial Vintage Sconce from Lowes ($70) (bottom right).
  • Big Online Retailers--Overstock has some terrific options like the Harper Blvd Gracie Colored Glass Bell Pendant Lamp in Soft Aqua for $81 (top right). Wayfair has a great selection, too. I particularly like the Harwich 1 Light Flush Mount in burnished bronze for $74 (bottom left).



  • Craigslist--You'd be surprised what you can find on craigslist. If you're a little intimidated by shopping on craigslist, check out this post with some tips.


I hope this post has been helpful to you. Good luck in your search for lighting!



No comments:

Post a Comment